Why Connect to Google Analytics?
Once you connect your Google Analytics account to Veritone Attribute, your website traffic analytics are piped in and correlated against your broadcast partner’s spot data. This will enable your broadcast partner to share attribution insights with you.
Please use a Google Chrome browser on a computer to complete this connection. NOTE: using a mobile or tablet device may not be the most optimal way to connect.
1. First, you will receive an invite to connect via email. Once received, click CONNECT.
Quick Tip: If the link isn't working, check-in with the sender to see if it has expired. Senders can check connection status and resend invites in Veritone Attribute.
2. A new tab will open in your Google Chrome browser. Click CONNECT.
Note: You will be prompted to log into whichever Google Account is tied to your company’s Google Analytics account. If you are not the Admin for your GA account, you can forward the email invite onto the Administrator to complete the connection.
3. CLICK ON YOUR ACCOUNT and add account credentials or click Use another account to enter alternate credentials.
4. You will be prompted to grant access to the Veritone Attribute App. This will simply enable Read Only Access. Click ALLOW.
5. Now you will be able to select your Analytics Account, Property, and View. The options provided will be specific to your account. Click CONFIRM.
Quick Tip: Attribute displays the Google Analytics Account, Property, and View names of your authenticated Google Analytics account. This information gives your partner visibility into what data you decide to share with Veritone. This ensures that you integrate web data that corresponds to your on-air campaign. For the best data insights, we strongly encourage you to connect to "All Web Site Data" when selecting View.
You should be all set! Your broadcast partner will receive an email notification once your data is connected. No further steps are needed on your end.
- The invitation expires after 5 days. Should your invite expire before you complete the connection, your broadcast partner can resend your invite.
Troubleshooting Common Connection Errors
If you’re experiencing an issue with connecting your Google Analytics web data to Attribute, please utilize the guidance below to troubleshoot.
Errors Related to Google Analytics 4
When attempting to connect to Attribute, if you are unable to choose or see a Property and View, or you’re unable to click CONFIRM, like in the example shown below, it is likely related to a new edition of Google Analytics, GA4, which was released as of October 14, 2020.
- If you’ve created a new Google Analytics account after this date or have upgraded your account to GA4, the Admin of your Google Analytics account will need to create a Universal Analytics Property (utilize this guide to do so). Then reconnect to Attribute, choosing the new Universal Analytics Property you have created.
- If you have not yet created a Google Analytics account, please use this guide to create a Universal Analytics account and bypass GA4. Then proceed with the connection process as outlined in the HOW TO CONNECT guide above.
You can learn more about GA4 and how to connect HERE.
If you receive a 403 error while attempting to connect, generally this means Google account that is signed-in does NOT have access to the select Google Analytics Account, Property, and View. This could be that the account that is signed-in has View-Only access and doesn’t have Admin permissions, which are required for completing this connection. This error may also indicate that the account that is signed-in is not tied to the Google Analytics account at all. For example, you may be signed in with your personal Google account rather than your business Google account.
- To resolve this, first verify that you are not logged in with a personal or alternative Google account by logging out of all Google accounts.
- Begin the connection process again.
- When prompted to sign in during the connection steps, be sure to choose the account that corresponds with your Google Analytics business profile.
- Proceed with the connection process as outlined in the HOW TO CONNECT guide above.
*If you need to add a user to your Google Analytics account in order to resolve this error, you may also use this guide.
“Bad Request” Error
If a “Bad Request” error is displayed, it is likely related to the permission settings of your Chrome browser.
- First verify the person attempting to connect holds an Admin profile for the Google Analytics account you are trying to connect.
- Open your Chrome browser and go to veritone.com.
- In the address bar, click the lock icon or the Pop-Up Blocked icon.
- Choose Site Settings.
- Under Pop-up and Redirects change the setting to Allow.
- Go back to your connection email invitation and restart the connection process as outlined in the HOW TO CONNECT guide above.
No Property or View in the Dropdown Selector
If you do not see any Property or View options to select from the dropdown menu when connecting to Attribute, it typically means these items have not yet been created or set up properly within the selected Google Analytics account.
- First verify the person attempting to connect holds an Admin profile for the Google Analytics account.
- Next, verify you have a Property and View created within your Google Analytics account. These can be found in the ADMIN panel.
- If you do have a Property set up, verify this is the same Property embedded within the website for which you want to track web data. You can verify this in the top dashboard of your GA account as shown below.
4. If you’re not seeing any data for this Property within your dashboard, it is likely because this is not the same Property embedded within your website. You can switch between various Properties in your ADMIN panel to find the correct one.
5. From here, identify the alternative Property within your Google Analytics account that does display your web data. This is the Property you’ll want to select when connecting to Attribute.
6. Once the correct Property has been identified, proceed with the connection process as outlined in the HOW TO CONNECT guide above.
Connected Advertiser Shows No Web Data
If the Advertiser has completed the connection process, but Attribute shows no web data, it is likely that an incorrect Property was chosen in the connection process.
1. Attribute user should first verify the megaphone icon next to the Advertiser name in Attribute is highlighted GREEN - This indicates the Advertiser is connected to the platform.
2. Hover your mouse over the megaphone icon next to the Advertiser name and take note of the Google Analytics information connected, especially the Property name and UA code.
3. Attribute user syncs with the Advertiser to inform them the Property they’ve chosen to connect is not the same Property tracking web data for their website.
4. Advertiser to log into their Google Analytics ADMIN panel and identify an alternative Property - It should be the one which displays web data related to their website.
a) The Property you’re looking for is one that contains all the web data for your website on your Google Analytics home page. You can verify which Account and Property you’re viewing in the top-left of your screen, next to the search bar.
b) If you’re not seeing any data for this Property within your dashboard, it is likely because this is not the Property embedded into your website. Switch between various Properties in your ADMIN panel to find the correct one.
5. From here, identify the alternative Property within your Google Analytics account that does display your web data. This is the Property you’ll select when connecting to Attribute.
6. Attribute user will then DELETE the old Advertiser profile and create a new one in order to remove the incorrect data connection and to resend a fresh invitation to connect.
7. Advertiser proceeds with the connection process as outlined in the HOW TO CONNECT guide above.